Assistant to the Chief of Staff
Working Families Party
People & HR, Operations
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Tuesday, February 6, 2024
About the Working Families Party
The Working Families Party (WFP) is the progressive party for the multiracial working class, fighting for a nation that works for the many, not the few. We recruit, train, and support transformational candidates up and down the ballot — and run them to win.
We believe that no matter where we come from or what our color, most of us want the same things. We want to earn enough to thrive, not just survive, and leave a better future for our kids. We want healthy food and clean water, safe neighborhoods and a safe world. We want to be free.
The Working Families Party is regular people coming together across our differences to make a better future for us all. We’re a multiracial party that fights for workers over bosses and people over the powerful. We want an America which realizes the promise – unrealized in our history – of freedom and equality for all.
Over the past few years the Party has grown significantly, and with that so have the scale and number of major projects and initiatives that our Chief of Staff oversees. The Chief of Staff carries responsibility for helping WFP reach and engage new audiences; providing leadership for movement allies through our Resilient Organizations Initiative; embracing new technology so that WFP is a leader on innovation in our field ;strengthening internal management structures; investing in and maintaining positive labor relations; and overseeing budgeting and compliance. Are you ready to have a meaningful impact at the epicenter of one of the most dynamic political movements in the nation? WFP is seeking a passionate, innovative and driven Assistant to the Chief of Staff to join our Executive Division to catapult our impact and effectiveness. This role is full time and temporary for three months.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Strategic Engagement: Prepping, debriefing and staffing the Chief of Staff for meetings on an ongoing basis.
- Project Design: Designing, planning, and executing projects conceived by the Chief of Staff.
- Work Planning: Assist the Chief of Staff in balancing constant incoming, ongoing responsibilities and advancing new initiatives.
- Internal Communication & Analysis: Liaise with staff from various departments to support the Chief of Staff and maximize his time/efficiency.
- Supporting Innovation: Supporting the Chief of Staff’s work on cutting edge innovation projects including fundraising meetings/networking and memos/slide decks.
- Logistics Management: Support the Chief of Staff's logistics and scheduling, demonstrating sound judgment and prioritization.
- Compliance: Support the Chief of Staff’s clerical duties related to compliance.
- Tech Savvy: Openness to utilizing emerging tools like Writer.com, Perplexity, and other technologies. Supporting the Chief of Staff on all things related to tech (VPN, Calendly, password management etc).
- Tracking: Track contact funneling and follow up on a regular basis so the Chief of Staff is equipped to address and resolve internal gaps quickly.
- Professionalism: Discretion and professionalism are essential to this role.
Skills and Qualifications
- Strategic Thinking & Adept Communication: Able to develop sound plans/systems and demonstrate strong communication skills
- Collaborative Spirit: Work closely with the Chief of Staff and build a strong rapport with other key staff from various departments
- Tech Proficiency: Quick learner with tech proficiency. Openness to harnessing the power of new technology for good.
- Financial & Compliance Fluency: Adept at understanding numbers and legal frameworks.
- Willingness to Travel on a Regular Basis: any applicant not based in Albany, NY should have a willingness to travel to the area for in person meetings weekly or bi-weekly.
- Professionalism: As noted above, discretion and professionalism are essential to this role.
What Else Should You Know
- Compensation: The salary range for this position is $80,000 to $120,000. The final salary will be determined based on an internal equitable scale that takes into consideration years of experience, geographic location, and final job description. We also offer a robust benefit package for full time employees including paid time off; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement plan options; professional development funding; and remote work support.
- Location: Albany, NY preferred, New York City considered.
- Schedule: Full Time, Temporary for 3 months.
- Union Affiliation: WFP is a unionized workplace. This is a non-managerial role eligible to join WFP's staff bargaining unit after six months of employment. WFP's union employees are represented by the New York Metropolitan Area Joint Board, Workers United union.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Working Families is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to economic and social justice. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Any applicant who requires an accommodation in order to apply for or perform the essential functions of the job should contact us at email@example.com with the subject line "Application Accommodation" to request such an accommodation.