Relational Organizing Manager
Working Families Party
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2024
About the Working Families Party
The Working Families Party (WFP) is the progressive party for the multiracial working class, fighting for a nation that works for the many, not the few. We recruit, train, and support transformational candidates up and down the ballot — and run them to win.
We believe that no matter where we come from or what our color, most of us want the same things. We want to earn enough to thrive, not just survive, and leave a better future for our kids. We want healthy food and clean water, safe neighborhoods and a safe world. We want to be free.
The Working Families Party is regular people coming together across our differences to make a better future for us all. We’re a multiracial party that fights for workers over bosses and people over the powerful. We want an America which realizes the promise – unrealized in our history – of freedom and equality for all.
Working Families Party and Working Families Power are working to innovate tactically in the field of electoral organizing and organize at scale to build a country where working people thrive, not just survive. We have developed a new organizing tactic – relational photo postcards. By combining organizing and smart tech and data, we’ve made it easy for a volunteer to send a printed personal postcard – with their own photo on it – to the mailbox of everyone in their network in support of WFP candidates and WFPower issues. In 2024, WFP and WFPower aim to send 1 million postcards from 20,000 volunteers to turnout disenfranchised voters, defeat Trump, preserve a Democratic Senate, and take back the House.
We are seeking a Relational Organizing Manager to take ownership of developing and implementing the postcard program in 2024 and expanding WFP’s overall relational organizing programs. This position will take ownership of creating a nuts-and-bolts plan for implementing 2024 postcard campaigns and drive implementing the plan to success, with the support of the Organizing & Tech team, the Data team, and the Political team. The Relational Organizing Manager will learn how to be an expert in running a postcard campaign from start to finish and train other WFP staff and candidates (as applicable) to run a successful postcard campaign. This person will also serve as the relational postcard manager for high priority federal WFP candidates.As the resident expert, the Relational Organizing Manager will manage the relational organizing infrastructure and process used to implement the program and be constantly thinking of how to improve and innovate the program to greater scale. This position will be a part of the Organizing & Tech team, and collaborate with other staff in the OTI department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage 2024 Postcard Program
- Mobilize WFPers to organize with their own network in support of WFP and WFP champions, primarily using Reach and personal postcards as the organizing tools. Build postcard programs that recruit new WFP members and activists.
- Create and implement plans for 2024 postcard campaigns for priority WFP candidates and campaigns, in consultation with key stakeholders among WFP staff.
- Seek out new partnerships with universities, colleges and other institutions and propose opportunities for non-electoral postcard campaigns that recruit new WFP members and increase program scale.
- Run postcard campaigns from start-to-finish; set up new postcard campaigns, create recruitment content and plans, run trainings, manage volunteer follow up, and manage development of vendor mail lists with support of the Organizing & Tech Department.
- Lead quality assurance of data used for vendor mail lists with a high attention to detail to ensure final mail is accurate and complete.
- Develop a volunteer team with clear responsibilities and structures to support the postcard program’s implementation.
- Maintain Reach accounts and update content, ensure content is integrated with current WFP campaigns and priorities
- Maintain strict commitment of reporting, documentation and evaluation of success of postcard campaigns, tracking metrics, challenges, and making improvements needed.
- Innovate new ways to improve the postcard program, with an emphasis on scale, volunteer experience, and data integrity.
- Collaborate with the Data Team to improve structures, systems, and processes that allow for more efficient data use during WFP relational organizing projects, and reporting of metrics after.
- Support the Deputy Director, OTI with recommendations to improve the organizing tech used for the postcard program.
- Work with WFP Political Strategists, Regional Directors, and State Organizers to assess unique field needs and plan postcard programs that make sense for each campaign and their budget.
- Support and coach state and regional WFP staff as well as campaign Field Directors or Campaign Managers, on using Reach and be a resource to help craft relational organizing plans, where firewalls allow.
- Create and maintain relational organizing materials and trainings (such as written guides, recordings, and sample scripts) for easy implementation and usage by staff and WFP volunteers. As needed, collaborate with WFP State Organizers and/or Regional Directors to lead trainings and recruit volunteers.
- Cultivate quality relationships with WFP member organizations and drive ways to increase their adoption of the photo postcard tactics.
- With a team of organizers contribute to:
- Maintaining a regular schedule of 1-1 relational meetings with supporters, volunteers and activists.
- Creating posts for upcoming events and announcements to the national vol community and support moderation of the activist Slack community.
- Cultivating a digital community culture of positivity and inclusion that leads to a diverse, resilient and growing volunteer community including the development of relationships between activists.
- Supporting monthly membership events to welcome new members, maintain relationships and build community.
Support Postcard Campaigns by WFP Staff, WFP member organizations and Campaigns
Skills and Qualifications
- 3 or more cycles of organizing experience working with volunteers, demonstrated development of volunteer leadership, and leading training
- 2 or more cycles of experience administering and managing a large-scale organizing tool, navigating the administrative backend of organizing tools, and reporting metrics and success.
- Experience working with a diverse group of volunteers and supporters across all demographics and backgrounds--especially race, gender and class.
- Preference for relational organizing experience or demonstrating of strong relational skills.
- Experience with Reach or other relational organizing tools, Mobilize.us, VAN/EveryAction, using social media for recruitment.
- Comfortable working with organizing technology to reach organizing goals and interest in innovating new ways to campaign.
- Skilled in basic data management, comfortable with Excel and/or Google Sheets.
- Skilled in basic graphic design (using Canva, etc.) preferred.
- Experience in drafting campaign or tactical plans and seeing them through to completion.
- Strong organizational skills and follow through. Ability to manage multiple competing complicated projects and manage priorities.
- Strong relationship building skills and demonstrated ability to collaborate with different teams to success.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong communications skills, including writing, speaking, and listening.
- Commitment to progressive politics.
- Ability to work varied hours including nights, weekends and occasional holidays.
- Ability to work under stressful conditions
- Must have access to strong wifi and good phone reception.
What Else Should You Know
- Location: The position is full-time and remotely based anywhere in the United States. Some travel will be required. Preference for staff living in a state with a WFP chapter.
- Salary: The salary range for this position as currently posted is $57,000 to $85,000. The final salary will be determined based on an internal equitable scale that takes into consideration years of experience, geographic location, and the final job description relative to other current WFP staff. The final job description may be revised for candidates with additional skills and experience at the discretion of the Hiring Manager. Revisions to the job description may impact the final salary offer for this role.
- We also offer a robust benefit package for full time employees including paid time off; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement plan options; professional development funding; and remote work support.
- Union Affiliation: WFP is a unionized workplace. This is a non-managerial role, eligible to join WFP’s staff bargaining unit after six months of employment. WFP's union employees are represented by the New York Metropolitan Area Joint Board, Workers United union.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Working Families is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to economic and social justice. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Any applicant who requires an accommodation in order to apply for or perform the essential functions of the job should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Application Accommodation" to request such an accommodation.