Working Families Party
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2024
About the Working Families Party
The Working Families Party (WFP) is the progressive party for the multiracial working class, fighting for a nation that works for the many, not the few. We recruit, train, and support transformational candidates up and down the ballot — and run them to win.
We believe that no matter where we come from or what our color, most of us want the same things. We want to earn enough to thrive, not just survive, and leave a better future for our kids. We want healthy food and clean water, safe neighborhoods and a safe world. We want to be free.
The Working Families Party is regular people coming together across our differences to make a better future for us all. We’re a multiracial party that fights for workers over bosses and people over the powerful. We want an America which realizes the promise – unrealized in our history – of freedom and equality for all.
The organizer will be integral for building grassroots engagement in WFP, including leaders, activists, and members, across many communities. The organizer will identify and develop leaders who can help build WFP power in their own city and across the state by providing structure, training, and support. The organizer will lead activists in legislative advocacy work, Get Out the Vote efforts and supporting endorsed electoral campaigns.
The ideal candidate must work with a wide range of multicultural, racially diverse colleagues in grassroots organizations and electoral campaigns. Personal relationships with community organizations and leadership in under-served neighborhoods are also desired.
This position will be supervised by the Connecticut Organizing Director and includes opportunities for professional development in organizing, elections, legislative work, and communications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruit and train volunteers in-person and virtually for mobilization around local issues, legislation, voter registration, electoral campaigns and Get-Out-the-Vote (GOTV) efforts.
- Identify and develop leaders who can help build WFP power both locally and nationally.
- Support local organizing efforts across the state by providing structure, training, and support.
- Host and lead effective membership and relational meetings, WFP events, including but not limited to welcome gatherings for new members, election and legislative debriefs and training to support WFP goals. In addition, staffing and tabling at community events across the state on behalf of WFP.
- Meet individual goals around membership recruitment and volunteer engagement.
- Maintain a volunteer database and oversee preparation of volunteer materials.
- Lead WFP GOTV programs including text messaging, phone banking, and door-to-door canvassing.
- Support endorsed electoral campaigns through petition drives, volunteer recruitment, training and attending/leading field events.
- Collaborate with partnered organizations on legislative campaigns, through participating in member engagement, lobbying and advocacy work and training opportunities.
- Assist WFP town committees as needed, including attending chapter meetings and recruiting new members into local chapters.
- Develop and strengthen new and existing relationships with organizations, local leaders, organizers, and activists.
- Conduct research and outreach in the community to identify key issues to create and test specific civic engagement and voting messages in-person and on social media.
- Provide support with WFP social media strategies to be used as a tool for increased member and volunteer engagement.
- Aid with the ongoing work of fundraising including raising money from WFP members.
Skills and Qualifications
- At least 2 years of organizing, political, electoral or non-profit experience.
- Passion for engaging with people and talent for motivating them
- The ability to work independently and hold yourself accountable in a remote, entrepreneurial work environment.
- Pre-existing commitment to progressive politics, community issues & racial and economic justice.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Must have a license and access to reliable transportation.
- Ability and willingness to work late evenings and weekends.
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite & Google Suite
- Experience utilizing social media as an organizing tool.
- Verbal and written skills to support training and organizational priorities.
- Candidates who proficiently speak and write in Spanish are a plus.
- Experience with electoral campaigns, including canvassing or phone-banking.
- Knowledge of voter file systems, VAN or Votivate.
- Experience working with grassroots organizations in Connecticut.
- Political intelligence and judgment.
Preferred (but Not Required) Skills:
What Else Should You Know
- Compensation: The salary range for this position is $57,500 to $75,000. The final salary will be determined based on an internal equitable scale that takes into consideration years of experience, geographic location, and final job description. We also offer a robust benefit package for full time employees including paid time off; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement plan options; professional development funding; and remote work support.
- Location: The position requires weekly in-person work with opportunities to work remotely when possible.
- Schedule: Full Time
- Union Affiliation: WFP is a unionized workplace. This is a non managerial role eligible to join WFP's staff bargaining unit after six months of employment. WFP's union employees are represented by the New York Metropolitan Area Joint Board, Workers United union.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Working Families is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to economic and social justice. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Any applicant who requires an accommodation in order to apply for or perform the essential functions of the job should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Application Accommodation" to request such an accommodation.