GA WFP Field Intern
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2023
About the Working Families Party
The Working Families Party (WFP) is the progressive party for the multiracial working class, fighting for a nation that works for the many, not the few. We recruit, train, and support transformational candidates up and down the ballot — and run them to win.
We believe that no matter where we come from or what our color, most of us want the same things. We want to earn enough to thrive, not just survive, and leave a better future for our kids. We want healthy food and clean water, safe neighborhoods and a safe world. We want to be free.
The Working Families Party is regular people coming together across our differences to make a better future for us all. We’re a multiracial party that fights for workers over bosses and people over the powerful. We want an America which realizes the promise – unrealized in our history – of freedom and equality for all.
The goal of the Georgia Working Families Party Internship Program is to provide real-world skills and opportunities to students and emerging activists. Through the program, participants will engage in our electoral work—everything from our candidate and electoral efforts to our GOTV and operations. Our interns will become an integral element in bringing real change to this country in our fight for electoral justice.
Skills Training and Development
Development and training is a key component of this program. Our interns will leave the internship with the experience and skills to assist in building strong electoral and legislative programs.
Working with the WFP Interns program, we are also able to offer an opportunity to learn about the WFP organization as a whole and the broader progressive fight we are engaged in.
Key Training Objectives
-How to build a campaign plan.
-Communications and messaging
-How to build and run field programs.
-Building text and phone scripts.
-How to recruit and manage volunteers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work directly with campaign Staff and execute weekly virtual and in-person direct voter contact events, and volunteer management to include phone banks, text banks and other coordinated activities with candidates.
- Drive turnout for WFP events, which include Welcome Gatherings, campaign services (texting, phone, canvass), house parties and coordinated activities with candidates
- Help with field management and volunteer recruitment for cop city issue work (town halls, education training, and all community engagement activities).
- Help plan, execute, and support high visibility community events that encourage people to vote in November.
- Coordinate WFP’s volunteer participation and manage volunteers at high visibility events to include tabling, speaking on behalf of WFP and talking to voters about WFP election programs.
- Participate in and summarize weekly team meetings, and distribute concise accurate notes in a timely manner to team members.
- Draft profiles of newly endorsed candidates for literature, web profiles, etc.
- Draft phone and text scripts for various campaign efforts.
- Prepare briefing documents, meeting presentations, and other materials
- Execute candidate and election research.
- Provide additional administrative assistance and administrative tasks.
Admin & Research
Skills & Qualifications:
- Highly organized: You can keep a clear head and stay on top of your responsibilities, while managing multiple tasks and moving parts. You know how to prioritize and you’re skilled at creating and using systems that help you and others keep track of deadlines and manage time efficiently.
- Proactive problem-solver: You feel a sense of ownership and responsibility for your work.
- Trustworthy and dependable: Once you commit to a task and a deadline, you follow through.
- Ability to manage volunteer programs: You have an interest in engaging, training and coaching volunteers to carry out voter contact programs.
- Clear and Proactive Communicator: Adaptable and quick-thinking.
- Ability to work effectively and collegially with a variety of staff, vendors, partners and WFP members.
- High comfort and strong understanding of administrative technology tools and communication platforms, including Google Suite, Zoom, Excel, and CRMs.
- Must have a strong commitment to WFP’s political mission and goals.
- Ability to work 25 hrs + a week, (including weekends), communicate schedule changes, show up on time to required meetings, and meet deadlines.
- Interest in political action, social justice, organizing, community service.
- Reliable wi-fi and access to a computer.
- Ability to attend and staff in-person meetings and events.
What Else Should You Know
- Compensation: $20/hour
- End Date: December 15, 2023
- Weekly Hours:15 - 25 hrs a week
- Location: Atlanta, Georgia.
- Union Affiliation: WFP is a unionized workplace. This is a non-managerial, temporary role eligible to join WFP’s staff bargaining unit only if extended beyond six months of employment. WFP’s union employees are represented by the New York Metropolitan Area Joint Board, Workers United union.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Working Families is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to economic and social justice. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Any applicant who requires an accommodation in order to apply for or perform the essential functions of the job should contact us at email@example.com with the subject line "Application Accommodation" to request such an accommodation.