Legislative Affairs Manager
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Tuesday, May 2, 2023
About the Working Families Party
The Working Families Party (WFP) is the progressive party for the multiracial working class, fighting for a nation that works for the many, not the few. We recruit, train, and support transformational candidates up and down the ballot — and run them to win.
We believe that no matter where we come from or what our color, most of us want the same things. We want to earn enough to thrive, not just survive, and leave a better future for our kids. We want healthy food and clean water, safe neighborhoods and a safe world. We want to be free.
The Working Families Party is regular people coming together across our differences to make a better future for us all. We’re a multiracial party that fights for workers over bosses and people over the powerful. We want an America which realizes the promise – unrealized in our history – of freedom and equality for all.
The NY WFP Legislative Affairs Manager will develop and support progressive governance work: leading issue campaigns, coordinating with coalitions, staffing and managing key legislators, and spending significant time building deep relationships with state electeds in Albany. In the months leading up to even-year state elections, the Legislative Affairs Manager will also support electoral work in state legislative races. The work ahead in NY includes significant power building within the state legislature to deliver materially for people statewide.
Depending on the final candidate’s experience, the role, workplan, and supervision may change.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Progressive governance:
- Spend significant time with state legislators in Albany, building deep relationships of trust, developing progressive legislators as organizers and as a bloc
- Develop staff-to-staff relationships, including with central staff and staff at core bureaucratic agencies
- Help plan state elected retreats, gatherings and trainings
- Participate/present at internal organizing opportunities such as caucus weekend and committee hearings
- Represent the Party in key coalition spaces, lead priority issue campaigns across politics, comms, field, and more
- Regularly report back on politics within Party governance structure
- State legislative electoral campaigns (in months leading up to even-year state elections):
- Help assess political and field landscape, recruit and vet candidates, develop membership
- Support electoral work on campaigns, especially candidate management, fundraising, politics and comms
- Navigate internal democracy structures around early candidate work through deep alignment with the organizing and party business staff
Skills and Qualifications
- Experience navigating complex political landscapes and building deep relationships across political alignments
- Significant experience across at least three electoral, issue and/or organizing campaigns
- Strong project management skills with a proven ability to ensure various, distinct parts of a campaign are executed coherently and to a high standard
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, with a high degree of comfort facilitating meetings, getting to strategic decisions, assessing effectiveness and impact, and quickly pivoting to execution
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends from time-to-time, but especially during key legislative and electoral dates
- Familiarity with NYS progressive politics and issue areas and relationships with NY elected officials, labor unions, and community groups, preferred
- Hard field electoral skills a plus, but must be open to learning if not
- Able to carry out the majority of work remotely with minimal supervision.
- Experience navigating complex political landscapes
- Significant experience across at least 4 electoral, issue and/or organizing campaigns
- Familiarity and existing relationships with NYS progressive politics and issue areas and relationships with NY elected officials, labor unions, and community groups
- Hard field electoral skills
What Else Should You Know
- Compensation: The salary range for this position is $60,000 to $82,000. The final salary will be determined based on an internal equitable scale that takes into consideration years of experience, geographic location, and final job description. We also offer a robust benefit package for full time employees including paid time off; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement plan options; professional development funding; and remote work support.
- Location: The position is full-time and based in Albany, NY, Hudson Valley, or the larger Capital region.
- Schedule: Full Time and Permanent.
- Union Affiliation: WFP is a unionized workplace. This is a nonmanagerial role eligible to join WFP's staff bargaining unit after six months of employment. WFP's union employees are represented by the New York Metropolitan Area Joint Board, Workers United union.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Working Families is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to economic and social justice. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Any applicant who requires an accommodation in order to apply for or perform the essential functions of the job should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Application Accommodation" to request such an accommodation.