International Refugee Assistance Project
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2023
IRAP is hiring an Office Manager to manage our US Offices. They will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the NYC office, and will independently problem solve any issues that arise related to our offices.
Specifically, the role would serve as the primary staff member on site in our NYC office to organize mail, troubleshoot issues, and maintain our inventory and physical space. This role will also support the DC office remotely by ordering supplies and coordinating with the coworking space office staff to provide maintenance and troubleshoot issues. The Manager will design and host team events, including happy hours, staff lunches, and team building opportunities for all staff.
The Office Manager will report to the Director of US Operations and Facilities. This role will work closely with the Chief Operating Officer, Organizational Culture team, and Technology Systems Manager.
- Local Operations, Office Management, and Facilities (70%)
- In collaboration with the Director of US Operations and Facilities, develop and maintain procedures for effective functioning of the New York and Washington DC offices.
- Manage and maintain existing vendor relationships, and at times, research new vendor options (including vendors for internet, security, food delivery, building access).
- Manage mail retrieval, scanning and distribution.
- Troubleshoot issues raised by staff related to the facilities of our New York office (i.e. printer isn’t working, we ran out of milk, it’s too cold).
- Provide reception to guests at our front door.
- Serve as the primary point of contact with building and security staff, raising important issues internally and externally as needed
- Maintain and manage inventory and purchasing of office supplies, pantry supplies, and organizing spaces where the supplies are kept.
- Collaborate with the Director of US Operations and Facilities, CHRO, and COO as necessary on matters of staff safety and security; maintain day to day compliance, safety, efficiency, and management of the office in accordance with building rules, IRAP health and safety protocols, and federal, state and local laws
- Oversee office design, maintenance and upkeep.
- Collaborate with Director of US Operations and Facilities on annual budget development on items in span of control and management (supplies, building maintenance, etc)
- Lead and support special projects, both long-term and short-term, for senior management as needed
- Assist with setting up new technology in the office, including docking stations, monitors, and peripheral computer technology.
- Design and host team events, including happy hours, staff lunches, and team building opportunities.
- Promote a friendly and collegial office environment.
- Coordinate and collaborate with office management staff at IRAP’s other offices as colleague and co-thinker; work to establish, streamline and document best practices across offices
- Other duties as assigned.
- General Operational Support (30%)
- Provide administrative support to the COO and Operations leadership as needed, including:
- Manage agendas and notes for US operations meetings at operations meetings
- Manage scheduling and tech coordination for IRAP board meetings
- Organize and assemble the organization’s report to the board before each board meeting
- Provide administrative and back-up support for IRAP’s weekly internal newsletter “The Weekly Update”, including writing, formatting, and distribution
- Provide event planning and coordination assistance for Operations Team and/or all-staff retreats
- Provide administrative support on matters that are confidential or require discretion
- Other duties as assigned
- At least four years of in person work experience (not remote). This includes, but is not limited to, office, retail or service industry work.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Ability to work independently and come up with creative, innovative solutions.
- Ability to use discretion and appropriate safeguards with confidential data.
- Customer service orientation that helps IRAP staff feel comfortable in the office.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
- Tech savvy and ability to quickly adapt to new systems.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds.
- Additional languages are a plus, particularly German or Arabic.
Location, Hours, and Duration
This position will work from our New York City office five days per week and is considered an essential public-facing staff role that is required to work from the office following city and state guidelines. The position is full-time (40 hours a week). The position will require occasional travel (1-2x per year) to IRAP’s Washington, DC office, and once per year travel to an off-site departmental and/or all-staff retreat.
The annual salary for this position is determined on a step scale based on education and years of experience. The Office Manager salary will be $62,255 - $74,336, depending on experience.
This role is covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
IRAP’s benefits vary across office locations, and IRAP seeks to offer equitable and generous benefits to all employees. IRAP’s U.S. benefits include:
Fully paid family health insurance
Extensive PTO (20 or more vacation days & 19 org-wide holidays)
Comprehensive leave time for sickness
Disability and parenting (4 months of parental leave)
Reimbursement for work from home equipment
Generous opportunities for professional development