Intake and Screening Volunteer
International Refugee Assistance Project
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2023
This position will work closely with caseworkers, other volunteers, and attorneys in the screening and intake vetting processes of refugee beneficiaries. The volunteer will report to the Volunteer Program Coordinator. The volunteer conducts in-person and phone interviews with refugee applicants and clients. In coordination with staff attorneys, the volunteer screens refugee applicants to ensure programmatic standards and criteria are met, in adherence to IRAP policies and procedures. The volunteer ensures appropriate client service provision per IRAP standards.
- Conduct objective in-person and phone interviews with refugee applicants in Arabic, to obtain and input biographical and narrative information in a client service database, and to prepare a written report in English.
- Serve as a primary point of contact for refugee applicants and clients, and provide accurate information to refugee applicants on behalf of the team advising or representing them.
- Under the supervision of staff attorneys, provide legal counseling and information to refugee clients.
- Contribute to improving service provision through participation in office, departmental and organizational working groups, advisory meetings, and committees.
- Ensure quality and complete documentation of service provision in the client service database in accordance with internal guidelines.
- Maintain and ensure confidentiality of all IRAP matters to ensure client privacy and program integrity.
- Periodically support other branches of IRAP as needed with an eye towards providing information about the Jordan and MENA context. Examples include identifying potential plaintiffs for the Litigation Team or providing compelling client stories to the Communications Team.
- Commit to at least (10-12) hours a week
- Excellent English and Arabic communication skills
- Sensitive to client empowerment and to working with clients of all backgrounds, including LGBTI clients, survivors of trauma, and other vulnerable populations
- Highly organized
- Excellent time management skills
- Strong writing skills
- Highly motivated with a strong interest in humanitarian work
- Proficiency with Microsoft and Google suites
This position is based in the IRAP Jordan office in Amman, Jordan.