Administration, Sales & Business Development
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2023
We are looking for an organized and resourceful Development Coordinator to join our Development team at Common Cause. In this role, you will focus on conducting prospect research; supporting the National Major Gifts team to expand and maximize their portfolios to increase funding; creating partnerships with state Executive Directors to support their fundraising work; and managing reporting and the donor database.
This is an exciting opportunity to work closely with experienced fundraisers, advocates, and Common Cause leadership staff, and you will play a key role in strengthening the fundraising engine that powers our campaigns in 25 states to fight voter suppression, combat democracy and elections related disinformation, end partisan gerrymandering, and create a more equitable and accountable government.
The position reports to the National Director of Major Gifts and comes with tremendous potential for learning, growth, and advancement. While this role is remote anywhere within the lower 48 United States, we have a preference for someone who lives in DC. We hope our new Development Coordinator will start as soon as possible, and encourage you to apply today!
Support the Development Team with targeted prospect research:
· Support the Vice President of Development, National Major Gifts Director, and Major Gifts Officers with maintaining and growing their individual portfolios
· Identify, qualify, and prioritize prospective new major donors, existing donors to upgrade, and lapsed donors to reactivate
· Review incoming contributions on a weekly basis and recommend strategies for engagement and portfolio placement
Reporting & donor database management:
· Maintain donor records in our database (called ROI) and provide analysis of donor performance related to retention, growth, upgrades, etc.
· Work with the National Director of Constituent Management Systems to build out new reports and enhance current reporting for the major gifts team
· Track portfolio progress and capture donor interactions, intel, and information
State Executive Director support:
· Serve as a point of contact for our state directors to support their donor research and outreach
· Research and synthesize donor list(s) for state directors based on states’ needs
· Partner with Executive Directors to plan events in their states
· Produce timely fundraising reports and respond to requests
Supporting other development work:
· Support and assist with projects related to drafting donor briefings, strategic plans, proposals, and coordinating events
· Provide administrative support to the Development team (for example, calendaring meetings)
You will thrive in this role if you have:
- A strong commitment to Common Cause’s non-partisan mission and to advancing racial equity through our democracy agenda
- Strong organizational skills, with a strong attention to detail
- Ability to manage short and long-term projects simultaneously, and comfort with juggling multiple and shifting priorities
- Critical thinking skills, and a resourceful approach to problem-solving
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- An ability to quickly build relationships and credibility with multiple stakeholders from diverse backgrounds
- Openness to feedback and awareness of your own strengths and areas for growth
The following is required:
- At least three years of experience working on a Development team
- At least one year of experience with prospect research and donor database management
- Flexibility to travel to DC 4-6 times per year (if not based there) and work some evenings and weekends
- Candidates may not currently be in elected office or running for office
We have a preference for candidates who also demonstrate the following:
- Experience working with a major gifts team
- Experience working for an organization with a national team and state or regional affiliates
- Strong working knowledge of the democracy funding landscape, prospect research methodology and best practices, and evolving shifts in philanthropy
- Proficiency with the tools we use: CRM software (Common Cause uses ROI and Action Network); fundraising research tools (for example: IWave, DonorSearch), and office productivity tools (Microsoft Office, Google Docs, Slack, Zoom)
Additional information about this role:
- This position is included in a union-represented collective bargaining unit and specific employment terms and conditions are subject to collective bargaining negotiations.
- Common Cause is unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment visa at this time; please note that if hired, you will be asked to produce documentation for authorization to work in the US.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants of any race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, income class, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status, as well as applicants who have been previously incarcerated.
Common Cause (501(c)(4)) and Common Cause Education Fund (501(c)(3)) are nonpartisan, nonprofit grassroots affiliate organizations dedicated to upholding the core values of American democracy. We work to create open, honest, and accountable government that serves the public interest; promote equal rights, opportunity, and representation for all; and empower all people to make their voices heard in the political process.
Founded in 1970 and headquartered in Washington, DC, Common Cause has more than 1.5 million members and supporters living in every Congressional district in the United States, and offices in 25 states around the country.